No Arrests Made; Progress in Boston Marathon Bombing Case, FBI Says.

After law enforcement sources told CNN that an arrest was made in Boston Marathon bombings, two senior administration officials and another federal official told CNN contributor Fran Townsend that no arrest happened.
bostonnoarrestmade
Investigators reported major progress in the Boston Marathon bombing case Wednesday, but said no arrest had been made, despite conflicting news accounts.Two law enforcement sources told USA TODAY no arrest had been made, although the Associated Press, CNN and Fox Boston had reported in early afternoon that a suspect had been taken into custody.As reports spread of an imminent arrest, the federal courthouse was jammed with a massive police and media presence. People with cell phone cameras poised to snap a picture of any suspect filled the parking lot.

A message sent to Boston officers on the police scanner, however, said flatly: “Despite reports to the contrary, there has been no arrest.” The message added that officers should “remain diligent in our mission.”

The reports that offiicals were zeroing in on a possible suspect came as several news sources said investigators had identified images of a suspect seen delivering one of the explosive devices near the marathon finish line.

CNN’s John King quoted law enforcement sources as saying that surveillance video from a nearby Lord &Taylor department store was key in the investigation. Television footage also played a role, CNN reports.

“The camera from Lord & Taylor is the best source of video so far,” said Dot Joyce, a spokeswoman for Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino tells the Boston Globe. “All I know is that they are making progress.”

A law enforcement official, who described the investigation as “very active,” told USA TODAY that authorities have been focusing on a mass of photographic evidence provided by the public and area security cameras. But the source indicated that there mixed views on the value of the analysis so far.

“There is a lot going on,” said the official, who is not authorized to comment publicly on the investigation.

As investigators painstakingly gather fragments of evidence from the two explosions that killed three people and injured more than 170, a lid has been recovered from a pressure cooker apparently used as the explosive device, a federal law enforcement official said.

The official, who has been briefed on the matter but is not authorized to comment publicly, told USA TODAY the lid was found on a roof near the scene of the blast.

The discovery came as the head of the Department of Homeland Security told a Senate panel in Washington that the Coast Guard worked with the Boston Police Department after the bombings Monday to guard against any potential water-borne attack from the harbor or the Charles River.

Janet Napolitano said officials continue to investigate the bombing with the FBI as a solitary act of terror.

Advertisements

One response to “No Arrests Made; Progress in Boston Marathon Bombing Case, FBI Says.

  1. Normally I don’t learn article on blogs, but I would like to say that this write-up very compelled me to take a look at and do it! Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great post.

Comment on this post...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s